Frequently Asked Questions
Before you contact us, please check the below list of frequently asked questions:
- Is this a school fundraiser?
Yes, the race is funded by sponsor donations and runner entry fees. Profits go toward the athletic program at Clover Hill High School (CHHS). In addition, donations will be made to various animal philanthropies associated with the event.
- How do I register?
Registration is online through Runsignup.com. Space permitting, we will have Same Day Registration at packet pick-up and on race day as long as we still have room available. NOTE: Register by October 31 to take advantage of Early Bird pricing and be guaranteed a race t-shirt.
- What does my 5K entry fee include?
All 5K and canine fun runners will get a t-shirt, medal and a swag bag filled with various freebies from our sponsors. The shirts are intended for human participants. Sharing with your dog is up to you!
- When can I pick up my race packet?
Packet Pickup is still TBD.
- Are there any safety rules for my pet?
Human and pet safety are important. On race day please:
- Have a buddy watch your pet when you run the 5k
- Limit one dog per person on the Canine Fun Run
- Pets must have a collar with id tags and be on a short leash; no flex leads permitted.
- Pets must be current on vaccinations, at least 6 months of age and not in heat.
- Is the Canine Fun Run a Race?
All dogs are winners however there is no prize for finishing first. Set a pace that is comfortable to you and your pet.
- Can I run/walk with my stroller?
Strollers are allowed in the 5K. Strollers are not permitted in the canine fun run.
- Can I walk the 5K?
- Can my dog run the 5K with me?
No, the 5k is only for humans. Please have a friend or family members watch your pet while you run the 5K.
- Can my child run/walk the 5K?
Children from age 5 and up are welcome and encouraged to participate (children riding in strollers are not charged an entry fee). Parents will need to supervise their children on the course since there will not be chaperons on every part of the course. The trails do cross roads and police will be present to direct traffic at major intersections but it is recommended that an adult accompany younger children.
- What can my dog and I do after the Canine Fun Run? Will we be bored?
No! We’ll have music, vendors and activities to entertain humans and pets throughout the morning.
- When should I arrive?
Pre-registered runners should arrive at least 30 minutes before their event. The 5k starts at 8:00 and the Canine Fun Run at 9:00.
- Where can I park?
We will have parking at the school of course, but it may fill up at some point. Whenever possible, carpooling is recommended.
- What if the weather is bad?
This is a rain or shine event.
- What about refreshments?
Water will be provided for human and dog participants. Other refreshments will be available for purchase.
- Where is CHHS located?
13301 Kelly Green Lane, Midlothian VA 23112, (804) 639-4940
- Do I have to have a student at CHHS to participate?
Absolutely not! Hounds on the Hill is a community-wide event. We welcome everyone, including dogs!
- How Can I Help?
Sponsorship and Volunteerism are greatly appreciated. See home page for links.
- Are you completely nuts? Aren't you the same people who just finished creating and building the Great Gator 5k?
Yes, it's true. Many of the people who created the Great Gator 5k at Swift Creek Elementary now have children at CHHS (or soon will). Many of those people are currently organizing this race, but we have plenty of fresh faces too! If you've been to the Great Gator, then you know that we know how to have a good time and put on a great race! (and all of our spouses will tell you: Yes, we are completely nuts)
- Why doesn't your directions page tell me how to get to CHHS from Brandermill?
Umm...Ok. Drive to the South/East end of Brandermill Parkway. Exit the traffic circle (yes, THAT traffic circle) going East. You're now on Kelly Green Dr. Take the second driveway on your right and park. Please plan to arrive at least 10 minutes before your race start. But you're really going to want to arrive earlier than that, we've got a lot going on and you don't want to miss a minute of it!
- Do I have to be a runner?
Nope! You can run, you can walk, you can volunteer. If you want, you can just come say hi and bring treats to the dogs!
If your question isn't answered above, feel free to contact The Race Committee
2017 Hounds on the Hill 5k and Canine Fun Run